Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My response to the 30 things assignment

10 Things About Me:
1. I sprained my ankle on Sunday during a tactical exercise in the swordfighting class I am taking.
2. I draw a zine comic called "Oh Shit, I'm in Grad School"
3. I got my BA from MSU in 2006, with a major in Social Relations from James Madison College, and an additional major in English/Film Studies.
4. My favorite movie is Tim Burton's Ed Wood.
5. I am lactose and gluten intolerant, and I'm allergic to mangoes and MSG.
6. I studied abroad in England and Scotland in 2003.
7. Both my parents, 3 uncles, and 1 aunt all graduated from MSU, and my brother is a junior here.
8. I only have my right ear pierced (and my right eyebrow).
9. I was an AmeriCorps*VISTA volunteer at the Allen Neighborhood Center in Lansing for two years before I came to grad school.
10. Teaching is my favorite job of all the jobs I've had in my life (although being a VISTA was a cool experience too).

10 Things About Me and Technology:
1. I have a pink Nintendo DS and I love it but I really want a DSI so I can play Ghostwire.
2. I play World of Warcraft (I have a Draenei hunter on Steamwheedle Cartel). I'm not especially good at it but it's a great way to relieve stress and talk to friends that live far away.
3. I've had a computer in my house ever since I was born.
4. I love vintage technology and old computers, and stories from people back when computers were new.
5. I use Mac OS X, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and GNU Linux (Ubuntu) operating systems on my computers.
6. I have four computers I use regularly.
7. I didn't learn to drive until I was 20.
8. I believe in a broad definition of technology, and yet, almost everything I want to put on this list is computer-related.
9. I am teaching myself how to program in Python.
10. This summer, I worked with computer scientists who create digital organisms and use programmable humanoid robots. (I helped them with their writing.)

10 Things about Me and Writing
1. I have thought of myself as a writer since I was a little kid.
2. I tried to write a novel one time called "The Philosopher's Daughter" but I never finished it.
3. I am good at helping people write about something they know a lot about, even if I don't know a lot about it.
4. I have written 2 full-length screenplays--one is sci-fi and is terrible, and one is a romantic comedy and it is at least not embarrassing.
5. I like to organized longer pieces of writing visually, like storyboarding, before I write them.
6. I also like to write down all my ideas on post-it notes and stick them to a blank wall.
7. I have to write my MA thesis this year and I am scared and excited.
8. I love using Gmail and Google Docs to keep track of things I am writing.
9. At the same time, I also like drafting things on paper--I actually wrote out this list on paper before I blogged it.
10. As much as I like writing and as much skill as I have, I still find it hugely challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment