Tuesday, February 17, 2009

25 Things Meme

So, today in class, we are working on writing 25 Things lists. This is a meme that has been circulating around facebook for a little while now. (It's not particularly new to me, I have written similar lists back when I used Livejournal all the time.) The purpose of this assignment is to practice the kind of casual personal writing that is more common to blogging that a lot of what we have written so far in class for our blogs, and also to get some experience composing our identities for the audience of the internet.

Here are the instructions from the meme:

Rules: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you.

You can't really tag people on Blogger in an entry (I think...can you?) so I invited my students to post this list to their facebook page, or other social networking site as well if they like.

As an example, I showed students my list. It is a little more...confessional than I usually am with them, but that's what is expected of this genre of writing. So, in the interest of fairness, here is my list.

1. I love chocolate desserts to be a little bit salty. My mom made me some chocolate cupcakes and I have been sprinkling sea salt on them before eating, for example.
2. I own a copy of Archie Meets the Punisher, one of the silliest comics crossovers ever.
3. I was as a kid and remain a pretty huge Babysitters' Club fan, and as an adult bought a bunch of the terrible straight to video adaptations on VHS. The graphic novel adaptations, however, are actually good.
4. I also collect Barbies and my favorite is Barbie's friend Chelsea, who has a nostril stud, wants to be a singer-songwriter when she grows up, and whose favorite food is gardenburgers. Queerest barbie doll ever. Thank you 1999.
5. I've been to London, Mexico City, and Los Angeles, but I've never been to New York City.
6. I correctly predicted the end of the last Harry Potter book.
7. I used to be kinda goth and I drew this squiggly Death line (faux eye of horus thing) on my face every day with eyeliner. Once I stopped doing it I found out a lot of people i went to college with had thought it was a face tattoo.
8. My family used to make fun of me for liking a lot of foods that smell like feet.
9. Among lots of other things, I'm allergic to mangos, they make my mouth break out.
10. I'm not a really big trekkie by any means, but I've had regular dreams that I was on the Enterprise with Picard and everybody for about the last 15 years.
11. I love Victorian medical manuals.
12. I only have one ear pierced. So does my mom, but she has two holes in it.
13. Deep down inside, what I really want to do is rove around with a pack of friends and solve mysteries.
14. I think Bull Durham is one of the sexiest movies I've ever seen, minus Susan Sarandon's terrible wardrobe.
15. The most upset I've ever gotten over a celebrity's death was when Shari Lewis died. I cried.
16. I have a really good ear for identifying voice actors, developed from watching a lot of Warner Brothers and Nickelodeon cartoons in the 90's and reading the credits obsessively.
17. There are only two movies I got creeped out and couldn't finish watching, Se7en, and Eraserhead.
18. My girlfriend and I were the stars of a stock photo that the State News used a couple times when they needed a picture of gay people to go with AP wire stories. It was a bad photo too.
19. I think my favorite raw vegetable is kohlrabi.
20. I used to identify as "anthrosexual" to protest the gender binary implied by "bisexual" but I went back to "bisexual" because I got really, really tired of explaining my unique snowflake sexuality.
21. I tried to write a novel this one time and it didn't really work out but I think it helped me get chicks. Or maybe, chick. Uh cause female Holden Caulfield drives freshmen in college wild.
22. I have a signed picture of Julie Newmar in my hallway. She was nice.
23. I have a week's worth of webcomic t-shirts and hoodies, and a week's worth of t-shirts that say "vagina" on them from being part of the Vagina Monologues for a number of years.
24. I like dry, dirty martinis, and I get a lot of compliments from waiters and waitresses for ordering such a thing. I guess they are bored with serving people beer. This has happened at Pizza House twice lately.
25. I got to have a guest appearance in my friends' webcomic. They drew me very flatteringly. Although I really hope they turn my character into a supervillain.

No comments:

Post a Comment